First grade is a fun time for reading because your child is learning more and more words. Some of these books are just right for 1st graders to read alone and some of them are a little challenging and are better for reading together.
I love the “five finger” test to determine if a book is at the right level – have your child read a page aloud to you, if she misses more than five words on a page, the book may be too challenging for independent reading, and you can plan to read it together.
Great Books For First Graders
- Flossie & the Fox by Patricia McKissack
- Over and Over by Charlotte Zolotow
- The Story of Ferdinand the Bull by Munro Leaf
- Zin! Sin! Sin! A Violin by Lloyd Moss
- Thundercake by Patricia Polacco
- Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig
- Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel
- Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg
- Lyle, Lyle Crocodile by Bernard Waber
- Bedtime for Frances by Russel Hoban
- A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams
- Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
- The Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett
Do you have any books that you would add to this list?