Jake started pre-school last week, and it’s been a great experience. It’s nice for both kids to have school time during the day, but that doesn’t mean that both kids are on the same schedule every day. I’ve noticed that most families have kids who are on different schedules, and that means moms are left trying to keep one kid entertained while helping their other kid do schoolwork.
Tips for Keeping Kids Entertained While Siblings Are in Virtual School
Here are a few tips for keeping kids entertained while their siblings are in virtual school.
- Coloring Books and Workbooks: Buy a few coloring books or workbooks that your little ones can use ONLY during their siblings’ school time. The fact that they aren’t coloring in them all day long, makes them more exciting when it’s time to use them. And this is a great activity that doesn’t need 100% attention from you, so you can help your other child if they need it.
- Reading: This is a great time to read short stories together. It never hurts to get in a little extra reading time!
- Go for a walk: If you have a partner or grandparent who can stay home with your child who is working on school, take your younger child out for a walk.
- Virtual classes: Outschool has a great collection of classes for little kids. Some of them are educational, but others are just for fun like art, dancing, or even exercise! This is a great way to add a little extra art or movement into your kids’ day.
- Make a snack: Kids love spending time in the kitchen. And if you time it correctly, your older child with have a great snack (or lunch) waiting for them when their virtual classes are finished.
It’s hard to balance all of the things – school, work, kids who aren’t in school, as well as little things like keeping the house clean and getting a little sleep – but we will make it through this year one day at a time!
Jessica — Mom of Sophie & Jake